Cooking is the number one cause of house fires and fire related injuries in the home. To that end, here's a list of ways to keep safe while cooking:
- Make sure smoke alarms are in working order and check them every three months
- Don't cook while intoxicated or tired
- When frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling, stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on your food
- Check on food that is simmering, baking, or roasting and use a timer to keep track of what's cooking
- Clean any fallen food out your oven to avoid starting a fire while baking
- Keep anything flammable away from stovetop
Heaters are the second leading cause in home fires. Here are some ways to avoid a heater related catastrophe:
- Keep anything that could catch fire at least three feet away from any space heaters, furnaces, or fireplaces
- Make sure there is no liquid near furnace, to avoid electrical shock or fire
- Never leave a fire or a portable furnace unattended
- Place space heaters on level, non flammable surfaces
- Keep children and pets away from portable heaters
- When buying space heaters, choose models that automatically shut off when tipped over
Make sure you know your fire exits and have an escape plan in place. The best way to stay safe is to be prepared!
If you have anything to add, please let us know in the comments. Thanks for reading and I look forward to connecting!